Upcoming Library Workshops
Workshops are held in an online "classroom" formally called Elluminate Live! but now called Blackboard Collaborate, which you can access from any computer or some mobile devices lie iPads.. Please contact Beth Filar Williams if you would like to request a specific workshop or have questions. Be sure to check out help for more info on Elluminate/BB Collaborate Live and view our past recordings below
May 14 2014 -- Tips & Tricks for Getting Started on Filming With Video Camera: The main objective of this in person workshop is to teach the four basic skills of the videocamera, which we will do by creating a sense of curiosity, empowerment, and purpose among the participants. Each topic will have a short hands-on camera practice. The participants will be encouraged to try what they just learned using a camera plugged to the projector. They may use their own devices, such as cellphones and/or Ipads to practice camera skills. Feedback will be generated through exercises with their own devices, encouraging them to interview each other about how they are planning to use what they just learned. SIGN UP COMING SOON!
Blackboard Collaborate Help
Blackboard Collaborate (formally Elluminate Live!) is webconferencing software that allows you to conduct live, virtual workshops, courses or meetings. Below are resources for first time users, as well as, resources for presenters and participants. Please contact Beth Filar Williams for additional support.
What To Expect...First Time Users
When you first visit the link for your online workshop, it will prompt you to enter your name, and then your computer will download a piece of free Java software to open and run. Once your virtual room window opens you may be prompted to choose your connection speed and then you are logged into the session!
Guides & Resources
First time users (presenters and participants) should take some time and go through these files before logging on to their first session:
- Check your system requirements (If if doesn't take you there, you might have to click on First Time Users/BB Collaborate)
- ITS's BB Collaborate help page
- Request a Virtual Room (uncg login required)
- Excellent online orientation on BB Collaborate
- Most common issues & fixes
- BB Collaborate Essentials, Participants guide, and Quick Reference for Participants
- BB Collaborate Essentials, moderator guide, Quick Reference and a tutorial for Moderators
- More help here!
- (Looking for Blackboard Learn help - try these tutorials!)
Headset & Mic Info
- BB Collaborate web conferencing is best used with a microphone and speakers/headphones. A combo headset/mic is best - without headphones, audio output from the session can be picked up your computer's mic and cause feedback sounds. If you don't have a mic, you can type questions in chat window.
- ALWAYS: Go to Tools -> Audio --> Audio Wizard ... follow the instructions to select the right input and output devices to get audio working.
Frequent Tech Problems:
- If your audio sounds like a chipmunk, try changing your connection speed: Find Preferences (PC - under Edit; MAC - under BB Collaborate Menu), choose Session -> Connection.
- "no file associated..."or "unable to launch" when trying to get into our virtual room? You can set an association for that file type to open. check out the directions here: when using google chrome, for a Mac, for Windows 7,r for Windows8/IE or you might need to clear your cache