Upcoming Online Library Workshops
Workshops are held in an online "classroom" formally called Elluminate Live! but now called Blackboard Collaborate, which you can access from any computer. Please contact Beth Filar Williams if you would like to request a specific workshop. Be sure to check out help for more info on Elluminate/BB Collaborate Live and view our past recordings here.
Upcoming Workshops - Sign up at workshops.uncg.edu
Stay tuned fall workshops coming soon....
Past Recorded Workshops
Our workshops are recorded and can be viewed here. Note, you will be prompted to enter a name and email to access recorded session videos. Check out other UNCG Library presentation slides on our slideshare account.
- 3/22/13 - Assessment 101 recording and slides
- 3/5/13 - Discover the Instructional Tech Toolkit recording and website
- 2/25/13 - Evernote 101 and slides
- 11/15/12 - ebooks Basics at UNCG Libraries recording and link to guide
- 11/6/12 - Pinterest in 30 minutes recording and slides
- 10/18/12 - Audacity: 30 minute tool overview slides and handout
- 9/13/2012 - Streaming Films from the Library for your Class (for instructors) and slides
- 4/11/12 - Assessment 101 and slides
- 4/5/12 - Endnote Web Basics and resources
- 3/15/12 - Jing in 30 minutes and slides
- 2/29/12 - Zotero in 30 minutes and Slides
- 2/21/12 - Dropbox in 30 minutes and Slides
- 2/7/12 - Google for Research: Scholar & Advanced Searching and Slides
- 1/24/12 - Getting Started with Google: Docs, Forms & Labs and Slides
- 12/7/11 - Calendaring & Scheduling Tools and Slides
- 11/30/11 - Remember the Milk and Slides
- 11/11/11 - Time Management and Slides
- 10/21/11- Twitter for Academics in 30 minutes and Slides
- 9/28/11 - Scholarly Management Workshop and Slides
- 4/14/11 - Instructional Tech Toolkit Presentation and Toolkit
- 3/16/11 - Googlicious and Resources
- 2/24/11 - Beyond Powerpoint and Slides
- 12/1/10 - Endnote Web Basics and Resources
- 11/17/10 - PowerPoint Makeover and Resources
- 10/27/10 - Intro to Creative Commons and Resources
LIS Student Specific Workshops
"What I did not learn in library school!" March 26, 2013 online webinar:
Webinar Series: LIS Career Building Basics
- 4/10/12 Become the Successful Job Candidate recording and slides
- 4/17/12 Successful Interviews recording (MP4 format) and slides
- 10/1/10 - LIS Resume Workshop Materials and Recorded Session
- 4/23/10 - LIS Resume Workshop Materials and Recorded Session
LIS Alumni Sessions:
Blackboard Collaborate Help
Blackboard Collaborate (formally Elluminate Live!) is webconferencing software that allows you to conduct live, virtual workshops, courses or meetings. Below are resources for first time users, as well as, resources for presenters and participants. Please contact Beth Filar Williams for additional support.
What To Expect...First Time Users
When you first visit the link for your online workshop, it will prompt you to enter your name, and then your computer will download a piece of free Java software to open and run. Once your virtual room window opens you may be prompted to choose your connection speed and then you are logged into the session!
Guides & Resources
First time users (presenters and participants) should take some time and go through these files before logging on to their first session:
- Check your system requirements
- ITS's BB Collaborate help page
- Request a Virtual Room (uncg login required)
- Excellent online orientation on BB Collaborate
- Most common issues & fixes
- BB Collaborate Essentials, Participants guide, and Quick Reference for Participants
- BB Collaborate Essentials, moderator guide, Quick Reference and a tutorial for Moderators
- More help here!
Headset & Mic Info
- BB Collaborate web conferencing is best used with a microphone and speakers/headphones. A combo headset/mic is best - without headphones, audio output from the session can be picked up your computer's mic and cause feedback sounds. If you don't have a mic, you can type questions in chat window.
- ALWAYS: Go to Tools -> Audio --> Audio Wizard ... follow the instructions to select the right input and output devices to get audio working.
Frequent Tech Problems:
- If your audio sounds like a chipmunk, try changing your connection speed: Find Preferences (PC - under Edit; MAC - under BB Collaborate Menu), choose Session -> Connection.
- "no file associated..."or "unable to launch" when trying to get into our virtual room? You can set an association for that file type to open. check out the directions here: when using google chrome, for a Mac, for Windows 7,r for Windows8/IE or you might need to clear your cache